Friday, May 22, 2009

Refugee CAMPus

I was recently contacted by a friend to do some photos for an event being put on at Queens College by the group STAND.  


Stand Logo


The group was camping out on the quad for the entire week in makeshift tents to raise awareness about genocide in Darfur and the Democratic Republic of Congo.  


I met some great students at the event on Monday and Thursday.  Everyone was very dedicated to social justice, and I felt an instant connection with most everyone there.  On Thursday morning, we had a discussion session with Professor Yaa-Lengi Ngemi, formerly of the DRC. 


 



Professor Ngemi
Professor Ngemi

 


He told us the real story about the genocide happening in the DRC where over 6 million people have lost their lives over the past decade stemming from a basic issue of economic exploitation from western multi-national corporations, in order to mine cheap natural resources such as copper, uranium, and coltan.  


Please excuse this brief introduction without expanding on this topic.  I am on a tight time budget today.  


Below are some pictures from the event.  I will try to put up a more complete gallery after I get back from Mexico.  


Enjoy the pictures...



[gallery link="file"]

And now I'm off to Mexico.  Be back in June.  


-JoeySee

No comments:

Post a Comment