Sunday, August 23, 2009

From Georgia to Maine

You know that smell of a homeless person?  It's not a pleasant one.  I often wondered what that smell was, specifically.  Was it the gentle pheromones of the remnants of a recent dumpster diving escapade?  Was it the thousands of scents accumulated in clothes that hadn't been washed in months?  Or was it just a deodorant or perfume preferred by homeless folk, like the hippies and their Burt's Bees wax?  


I still don't know the exact answer, but I came closer to finding out last week when my brother Andrew arrived in Boston, after completing the 2,178 mile journey from Georgia to Maine, that is known as the Appalachian Trail.  Though he did smell of age-old dirt, sweat and grime, I couldn't help but attempt to wrap my arms around him and his 40-pound pack when he stepped off the T in Washington Square to meet me after finishing his epic trek.  


Brothers on the TBrothers reunited again!


 


His stories are many, and he kept detailed accounts of most of his exploits in his journal, but this post is simply for pictures.  The stories are his.  Wikipedia estimated the approximate number of "thru-hikers" (those who attempt to do the entire trail in one go) that have completed their mission since 1935 to be at 9,583.  


Make that 9,584.


ToesThis is what happens to your toes after walking 2,178 miles - and this is after a shower.


 


I gave Andrew a clean pair of underwear, shorts and a t-shirt after his first shower in 28 days, and the next day, snapped this photo of him while waiting to explore some of Boston.  I think it's pretty iconic, despite the t-shirt.  


Andrew iconic


Andrew


 


I am infinitely proud of my kid brother.  I just wanted to share this picture, as well as the incredible story of Andrew's success.


Ciao...


-JoeySee

No comments:

Post a Comment